Yes my son ate 5 bowls of this Gnocchi in one sitting (he has grown to over 6ft tall – maybe it was the Gnocchi). It’s his favourite dish. I make this with a Gorgonzola sauce and prosciutto crumble but my kids do like really strong flavours, if yours don’t you could just as easily use parmesan or tasty cheese instead of Gorgonzola and make the dish veggo by omitting the prosciutto crumble and using parmesan or herbs to garnish.
For the Gnocchi
2 cups of sweet golden potato (sometimes called yam or kumara)
2 cups of white potato (I like Desiree)
1 cup of Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
3 heaped teaspoons of Herbs (I used fresh Parsley, Chives and Oregano from my pot plant garden because that’s what I had, you could also use Basil)
For the Sauce
2 teaspoons of crushed garlic
1 cup of sour cream
100g of Gorgonzola (or other cheese)
1/2 cup of vegetable stock (I use Massels, it has no nasties and is gluten free)
To finish off
3 tablespoons of prosciutto fried till crisp and crumbled or grated parmesan or chopped fresh herbs
Chopped Baby Spinach
Making the Gnocchi
1. Dice and cook the potatoes till soft, drain and cool. Whilst cooling I make the sauce.
2. Once cooled mash the potato very well
3. Add 1 egg
4. Add flour 1/3rd at a time and mix in well
5. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and then bring it down to simmer
6. Using floured fingers and a floured teaspoon, gently take teaspoons of the potato mixture and form them into Gnocchi shapes – don’t overwork them or they will become heavy.
7. Carefully drop them into the simmering water, don’t overload the saucepan.
8. When Gnocchi have floated to the top let them cook for 1 – 2 mins before removing with a slotted spoon. Don’t let them cook for any longer or they will become soggy.
9. Place the Gnocchi on a bed of chopped baby spinach (so your kids get some greens and because baby spinach is sooo yummy) and pour the sauce over the gnocchi, garnish and serve
Making the sauce
1. In a saucepan fry the garlic till browning
2. Add sour cream and stir regularly till melted
2. Crumble in the Gorgonzola and melt whilst stirring regularly
3. Add the vegetable stock